15 DIY FACE MASKS FOR ACNE SCARS
Breaking out is extremely infuriating but what’s worse than that is persistent acne scarring. These often occur when your skin pore gets filled with dead skin cells, bacteria and excess oil causing these pores to swell which can also be known as blemishes or inflammation or pimples.
The follicle wall is broken by the swelling of the pores. If the break in the wall is shallow then the skin heals quite quickly on its own but if it is deeper then usually what happens is that all the dirt material filled in these pores may spill out to the other tissues surrounding them and as a result even deeper break is caused. After all this traumatic experience, your skin tries to repair itself by producing new collagen, however, this new forming of collagen is not flawless like your original skin.
This is why it is recommended highly to not pop your acne and some Dermatologists even recommend not touching them without proper hand sanitization.
If you are done with all these chemical treatments that are expensive and not everyone can afford them then let us introduce you to several natural face masks for acne scars. These are inexpensive and natural, plus you would know exactly what ingredients you are applying to your skin.
How Do You Get Rid Of Acne Scars With DIY Masks?
Homemade DIY face masks for acne scars can provide you with excellent results. This is a natural way of getting rid of your acne and acne scars. The best thing about making these DIY masks is that you would know exactly what ingredients you are putting in. This seems like a basic thing but it is very often that the face masks we get from some store to get rid of these scars end up leaving even more scars due to some problematic ingredients. The simple reason behind it is that the problematic ingredients that these branded masks contain are often disguised under different names or E numbers, which makes it harder to be recognized by the general public.
Another issue regarding these branded masks is that they are often very expensive and out of range for the common public. However, these DIY at home face masks for acne scars are very inexpensive and the ingredients used are usually already present in your home. Also, things cannot go more organic than this!
Are Face Masks Good For Acne?
Face masks can be great for acne given that you know what ingredients you are using to make these masks and the most important thing you should know before starting this is what type of skin you have. Once you know your skin type you can regulate many ingredients according to your preference. DIY masks give you a lot of room for mix and match. You can never go wrong with natural ingredients but to be on the safer side, always remember to do a patch test before you apply it to your sensitive acne-scarred areas – prevention is always better than cure.
What Are the Best Face Masks for Acne Scars?
Acne scars can be really hard to get rid of but if you are making face masks for acne at home or you are making face mask to get rid of acne scars at home then you should get ready to see some excellent results. Because we have come up with a list of 15 besthomemade face mask for acne scars:
Apple Cider Vinegar Face Scrub for Acne
- apple cider vinegar
- cooled green tea
- One teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- Two teaspoons of cooled green tea
- Five teaspoons of sugar
- One teaspoon of honey
- Mix above ingredients well
- Apply on skin with cotton pads and massage in a circular motion for a few minutes.
- Keep this mask on your skin for 10 minutes. Use it 1 or 2 times a week.
- Sugar works as a natural exfoliant and helps in breaking up scar tissues plus unclogging pores.
- Honey has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties
- Apple cider vinegar has alpha hydroxyl acid which unclogs pores and dissolves dead skin cells. It also minimizes pore appearance, restores the natural pH of the skin and also treats blemishes.
- Green tea as we all know contains a large number of antioxidants.
Honey and Cinnamon Face Mask
- cinnamon powder
- One teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Two teaspoons honey
- Blend these ingredients well until they are completely mixed.
- Slather it on your face by using your fingers and leave it on for 10-15 minutes
- Rinse it off with water (recommended: apply toner)
- This best homemade mask for acne scars can be used daily
- Honey is rich with its anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties
- Cinnamon also has anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Like we said above, most of these pore swelling is due to bacteria in these clogged pores, hence this is an excellent face mask to use which is also very easy to make with just two ingredients.
Milk, Honey & Turmeric Face Mask
- turmeric powder
- One teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Two teaspoons of milk
- One teaspoon of honey
- Mix these ingredients and form a thin paste
- Apply this mask with a makeup brush to your skin. (it may stain fingers due to turmeric powder’s presence)
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes then rinse it off with water
- This mask can be used 2-3 times a week
- Turmeric is an extremely good component for skin related problems because of its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Turmeric helps fade away acne scars and blemishes.
- Honey also has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties
- Milk in its raw form contains lactic acid which works as a gentle exfoliant for the skin and also provides anti-aging properties.
Aloevera Face Mask
- Aloe vera gel
- turmeric or green tea
- One tablespoon Aloe vera gel
- One teaspoon turmeric or green tea
- It is preferred to use either green tea or turmeric powder and blend them well. these ingredients would provide help for oil control and overcome the issue of sensitive skin
- Apply the mask gently on to your skin and leave it on for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water and moisturize.
- The main power ingredient here is aloe vera as it is also known as a natural calming agent with its anti-inflammatory properties. This helps calm down your inflamed skin from acne.
- Aloe vera also contains sulfur and salicylic acid which are both great for acne and acne scars.
Banana Face mask
- ¼ cup yogurt and 2 tablespoons honey (optional)
- Blend a ripe medium-sized banana and keep blending until it forms a smooth paste.
- If you want to increase the power of this mask then add in yogurt and honey to this paste.
- Apply it on to you face and skin with a makeup brush
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and then rinse it off with water (preferably cold)
- The most important ingredient Banana contains a large quantity of vitamins A, B, and E, all these vitamins are good for your skin health.
- Vitamin A helps with fading dark spots, acne spots, and blemishes, etc. it also helps with rough skin and smoothes it.
- Vitamin B also helps reduce roughness and dry skin
- Vitamin E helps with anti-aging or antioxidant properties
- It also has potassium in abundance as we all know which helps with moisturizing and overall hydrating of the skin.
Almond Milk & Egg White Face Mask
- natural almond milk
- Egg white from one egg
- lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon natural almond milk
- Egg white from one egg
- One teaspoon of lemon juice
- Mix all the above ingredients into a paste.
- Leaving the eye area, apply it gently all over your face
- Leave it on for 15 minutes then rinse it off with water
- You can apply this mask 2 times a week
- Egg white contains astringency which is good for oil control which in turn helps with the reduction of acne scars.
- Almond milk also has a moisturizing effect on your skin
Orange Peel Face Mask
- Dried orange peel powder
- One tablespoon of orange peel powder
- One teaspoon milk
- Mix these two and form it into a thick paste
- Apply this paste to your face and leave it on for 10 minutes
- Rinse it off with water
- You can use this mask two times a week
- Orange peel contains retinol which acts as a natural exfoliant which helps rejuvenate the skin cells which then helps in reducing acne scars
- It also helps in repairing damaged skin as it boosts collagen formation and lastly, control sebum secretion
Oatmeal Face Mask
- Boil some oats with water
- Then let the oatmeal cool off and then apply for a soothing face mask
- Apply the cooled off oatmeal to your face
- Leave it on your skin for 25-30 minutes
- Rinse it off with water and moisturize
- Oatmeal is a healthy breakfast but it can prove out to be excellent DIY face mask for acne scars
- Oats has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
- Oat bran also consists of vitamin E and B complex and minerals.
Red & White Face Mask
- Egg white
- One tablespoon egg white
- Few berries
- Squash berries into a soft and smooth paste then add a tablespoon of egg white and mix these two till they are completely immersed.
- Apply the mask gently to your face and leave it on for maximum five minutes
- Rinse it off with water
- You can apply this mask every once in a while
- The berries have salicylic acid which is great for acne and acne scars. Berries are known for reducing acne scars and blemishes.
- Egg white also has amino acids and proteins which helps in lightening acne scars and also makes your pores tight which in turn helps in resisting new breakouts.
Chickpea Flour Face Mask
- Chickpea flour
- Two tablespoons of turmeric powder
- Two tablespoons of sandalwood powder
- Two tables spoons of honey
- ½ cup of chickpea flour
- Mix all these ingredients together and add in water as per needed to form a soft paste
- Apply this to paste to your face using a makeup brush and leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Remove the mask as you would remove your scrub
- Rinse it off with water after
- You can use this mask once every week
- Chickpea flour has proteins which help in lightening acne scars
- Sandalwood powder is best for soothing skin and also helps in removing acne scars
- Turmeric powder has antioxidant properties and also allows collagen production which promotes cell growth which helps in the reduction of acne.
Peel off Egg White & Olive oil Face Mask
- Lemon juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- One whole egg
- Few drops of lemon juice as it can cause irritation to people who have sensitive skin
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Put all these ingredients together and mix well
- Apply the paste to your skin in a thin layer using a makeup brush
- Cut small pieces of thin tissue paper and place it on top of the mask
- Coat another layer of the mixture and then let it dry off
- Once it is completely dry on your skin, gently peel off the tissue pieces that would come out cleansing all your pores, blackheads and acne scars
- Egg contains astringent properties and helps in oil control which reduces acne scars.
- Extra virgin olive oil is extremely healthy for your skin and it aids in the removal of acne scarring. It has antioxidant properties
This DIY peel off mask for acne is great for your skin and it helps in removing acne as well as fades out acne scars.
Peel Off Honey Mask
- Almond milk
- Two tablespoons honey
- Two teaspoons almond milk
- Mix the two ingredients well
- Apply this sticky paste to your face in an even manner using a makeup brush
- Cut some tissue paper pieces and place them on top off this mask
- Apply another layer of this mask evenly over the tissue pieces and let it dry on your skin completely.
- After it is dried out, gently peel off the pieces from your skin
- Honey contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and it helps in reducing acne scars
- Almond milk is very hydrating, healing and soothing to your skin.
This homemade peel off mask for acne is one of the gentle peel-off masks that you can easily make at home with just these two ingredients.
Overnight Milk Cream Face Mask
- Milk Cream
- Salt or sugar
- One tablespoon of milk cream
- Two tablespoons of sugar or salt
- Mix the two till a scrub like texture is acquired
- Apply this gently t your skin and rub or massage it in circular motions
- Let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse off your face with lukewarm water
- This mask is an example of a DIYovernight face mask for acne, it is said to remove acne and acne scar overnight.
- Sugar is used as an exfoliant in this face mask which helps in unclogging of the pore and much more
- Milk cream makes your skin softer and cleanses any dirt or bacteria from your skin
Olive Oil & Lemon Face Mask
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- One to two tablespoon olive oil
- Few drops of lemon juice
- Some amount of water
- Heat the olive oil
- After bringing it to the temperature where it is applicable to the skin
- Mix all the other ingredients together
- Apply the mask gently to your skin
- Let it stay for five minutes
- Remove the mask with cotton pads
- Olive oil – Extra virgin olive oil, contains high amounts of vitamins and antioxidants which helps in repairing of skin
- They also protect your skin against bacteria that cause acne
- This soothing oil preserves the skin oil and makes it smoother reducing its chances of drying out
- Lemon helps in killing off bacteria as well as removing toxin particles from the pores of your skin, as a result, you get a healthier-looking skin
Only Avocado Face Mask
- Only avocado
- Take a medium-sized Avocado and mash it up.
- Apply this mash to your face and let it sit for about 10 minutes
- Rinse it off with water and moisturize
- Avocado is a superfood which means it has all its basic micronutrients present
- This fruit is also rich in vitamins, omega fatty acids, and antioxidants
- It contains vitamin A, B, C, K, E
- All these vitamins are great for your skin.
What is the Importance of Using Face Masks?
In these modern times, our Earth is filled with pollution and everywhere you go, your skin comes in direct contact with dirt, bacteria, and whatnot. Having a skin routine should be essential for everyone. These DIY face masks would help you deep cleanse your face and would eliminate any unevenness or acne scars present on your skin.
Most of the DIY face mask recipes included honey which is one of the healthy and complete foods. This is not just healthy to consume but several applications of honey in different masks showcases how important honey is.
Other more commonly used ingredients include egg white, milk, and sugar.
Egg white contains astringency which is great for acne-prone skin and it fades out acne scars as well. Milk is the extremely hydrating, soothing and healing component that heals or soothes inflamed areas. Also, milk contains lactic acid which is responsible to gently exfoliate the skin. Last but not the least ingredient is sugar which is also used as an exfoliate.
DIY face masks are one of the most convenient ways of skincare. Usually, all the ingredients present in these face masks are natural and won’t harm your skin. Majority of these products you use for making your mask are already present at your place so they are inexpensive as well.
If we talk about the results that we get from these masks then you would be surprised how efficient these natural and pure ingredients can be.
Making a DIY face mask for your acne and acne scars is a therapeutic method of getting rid of your skin problems, all by yourself.
We should keep ourselves safe from breaking out by avoiding as many chemicals as we can. If we have got a natural replacement for something then going for the chemical one is just foolishness. Things with natural ingredients would hardly go wrong and if you still feel like they can then don’t forget to do a patch test before applying it directly to your entire face.